Monday, February 2, 2009

My Personal Weight Loss Journal: Feb. 1st- 7th, 2009

I'm into the 4th week now of my healthy lifestyle change. I'm feelin' good and still excited about the new journey. My total weight loss to date is 8 pounds, with the caveat that I know I've lost more in inches than actual weight. That's okay with me, as long as I continue to lose in both areas until I'm entirely comfortable with the end result. There are only two weeks remaining in my gym's Biggest Loser (weight loss) contest. I'm enjoying the competition, so I really do wish it were going on longer than just 5 weeks. It motivates me to work out with others who struggle as much as I do, and I like being held accountable each week for getting on that scale. It frightens me to know that soon I'll be doing it all on my own. I'm doing great so far... but I just want to be able to maintain that excitement and drive.

I've been observing subtle, positive body changes... more muscular legs, arms gaining strength and less flab, icky jiggle in various places is slowly disappearing, flatter stomach, and most notably- my hips are much more streamlined. I'm likin' the changes! The first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is put my hand on my stomach- it's like I enjoy that feeling of flatness that I haven't felt it in so long. The clothes are fitting better, and I've even gotten into some things that I haven't been able to wear in a while. I'm still eyeing a couple of pairs of jeans that aren't quite comfortable yet.

My food choices during the day are directly influenced by how I'm feeling. If I've gotten a good workout that morning, I'm more likely to feel great and want to eat great. I'm careful not to eat too little, and I'm trying new, healthier recipes along the way. I'm good at eating lots of veggies, but I need to find a way to incorporate more fruit into my diet.

A fun email arrived the other day. It appears that my blog was selected to be included in a list of the 100 Best Health and Nutrition Blogs for Athletes. You can see the whole list HERE. I'm not quite sure why they felt mine should be included in the list, but it was neat to see just the same. I'm assuming my weekly musings about exercise and diet, as well as recent healthy recipe postings were a draw.

Thanks to all of you readers for your support in this important journey of mine. Your inspirational words and kindness mean a lot. As usual, I'll update this post only this week to add my daily food & exercise details. Check back if you're interested in following along.

My original story about how this journey began is HERE.
Week 1 is HERE.
Week 2 is HERE.
Week 3 is HERE.

--------------------------------------------------------------
DAY 21:

Food/Exercise for Sunday, Feb. 1, 2009
breakfast:
Kashi puff cereal with skim milk
snack: nonfat yogurt with Kashi crunch cereal
lunch: big salad with added ham & cheese
snack: 1 slice of whole grain bread
dinner:
Confetti Chili (Ellie Krieger Recipe)
dessert: no-sugar-added pudding

Today's Notes:
I avoided any and all Super Bowl parties (for obvious reasons)! We had a quiet day at home and I chose to eat healthy.

Today was a day-off of exercise. It felt good to rest my tired, overworked joints for a day!
-----------------------------------------------------

DAY 22:

Food/Exercise for Monday, Feb. 2, 2009
walk uphill to gym (30 minutes), cardio & strength class (60 minutes), run home different way- ups and downs (25 minutes)
breakfast:
Kashi puff cereal w/ skim milk
snack: nonfat yogurt w/ a splash of Kashi crunch cereal
lunch: turkey & swiss wrap
dinner: Confetti Chili (Ellie Krieger recipe)
dessert:
no-sugar-added pudding

Today's Notes:
The wrap that I made for lunch was awesome (made with low-sodium turkey, low fat swiss, lettuce, tomato, light mayo, dijon and these great 100 calorie/ 7g. fiber flax wraps). I found the flaxseed roll-ups at Henry's here in San Diego. It was a nice change from the usual salad I have for lunch and was very filling too. I endured pure torture today as I brought my little one to have a cheeseburger at In N' Out after his basketball practice. I kept telling myself that I didn't want that burger, and I don't really care for their fries anyway so that part didn't matter. I really did want that cheeseburger though. It looked frighteningly good. But I went home and ate a healthy leftover bowl of chili instead. And do you think I felt good about that? Yes... I actually did.

Since Sunday is usually a day off from exercising, I make Monday an intense, long workout day. I didn't wake up with a lot of passion for exercise today, but I forced myself to go to the gym, hated almost every minute of it and was glad when it was all over. For some reason, I just wasn't into it today. That being said, I had an amazing workout and I'm happy I stuck to it. I bought myself some more workout clothes today. It's always much more fun to go to the gym wearing something new and cute.
---------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 23:

Food/Exercise for Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2009
breakfast:
Kashi Puff cereal w/ skim milk
walk to gym (20 minutes) strength/cardio class (60 minutes) jog back to car (15 minutes)
snack:
nonfat yogurt with sprinkle of Kashi crunch cereal
lunch: same turkey wrap as Day 22
snack: 1 slice whole grain bread

dinner: salad and small portion of pasta
dessert: no-sugar-added pudding

DAY 24:

Food Exercise for Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2009
breakfast: 1 slice whole grain bread with 1/2 avocado and egg fried in cooking spray
snack: nonfat yogurt with sprinkle of Kashi crunch cereal
lunch: same turkey wrap as Day 22
dinner: leftover Confetti Chili (Ellie Krieger recipe)
dessert:
no-sugar-added pudding

I was very hungry on Tuesday. I have a feeling it's all that exercise that's making me so hungry. The wrap for lunch is terrific and filling- stuffed with lots of lettuce & tomato too. I still love my fried egg sandwich with avocado too! I'm still not getting my fruit in! And I feel like I'm eating too many carbs. I'll work on that.

Since I dreaded the Monday workout so much, I was happy that I actually looked forward to my Tuesday workout and had lots of energy, with the run at the end being my favorite- as usual. Unfortunately, I was consumed with work on Wednesday and couldn't find any time to exercise. I don't feel good about that at all, and won't let it happen again tomorrow. I look forward to getting in good workouts on Thurs. and Fri.

25 comments:

Happy cook said...

Congragulation. This is really good. Soon you will have to buy new clothes.

Culinarywannabe said...

Wow! 8 pounds is amazing in such a short amount of time. You should be so proud of yourself! Especially for abstaining from the parties and food last night, that's a real lesson in self control.

Barbara Bakes said...

Congratulations! I'd wish I'd done better yesterday. But I'll have to try and make up for it this week!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations! Keep up the great work!

Nina Timm said...

Wow, well done my friend!

Sara said...

Congratulations on the weight loss! That's so great. Keep up the hard work.

Maria said...

You are so awesome! Keep up the good work!! Thanks for sharing with us, you are a great motivation to many!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

Congratulations - You are doing great!! Keep it up!! You are an inspiration!!

Parker said...

You are doing great. Getting through those tough times like superbowl are a challenge, good job.

Reeni♥ said...

Your doing awesome!! Eight pounds is wonderful!!!

newlyweds said...

Great job, all your hard work is paying off!!!

Rosie said...

Congratulations and well done! 8 pounds is amazing loss in a short time!

Rosie x

CookiePie said...

Good for you - you're an inspiration!

Sylvie said...

Brilliant! Keep up the good work!

Janice said...

Keep up the good work! The hard part is maintaining those healthy habits for a lifetime- just take it one day at a time.

Sara said...

Congratulations! The 8 lbs is great, but I think that seeing actual inches gone is way more motivating. That's awesome. Being a food blogger and trying to lose weight is so hard! I totally fell off the wagon this weekend for the first time in a month, but I'm gonna go hop back on and get on with it! Thanks for sharing your experiences, and congrats for making the list!

deLa said...

im actually the same as you on the fruit to veg ratio. what ive been doing it adding fruit to my breakfast and having it around to snack on as well. instead of my arch nemesis, mr saltine cracker!! i bought some special k waffles at the store today and im going to have one for breakfast in the am with a little fat free cream cheese and sliced strawberries.

the problem is that i am allergic to most natural sugar, so raw fruits make my lips swell and my throat itch, and if it touches my skin, i get a horrible rash. its not life threatening, just annoying.

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Not to put a damper on your great news of weight loss and getting fit. Both are a passion of mine and I understand the work that goes into each and every lb of loss. BUT...in Jan.I hosted a Bunco night at our home. The only rule low cal. It was not until shopping for my snacks that I learned how many cals are in most cerals. Just sharing what I found????

Dawn said...

I love watching my body parts change from loose and flabby to strong and tone. That is always a motivation for me. Plus the fact that my back gets stronger and no longer aches is HUGE motivation for me.
You're doing awesome girl!! rock on!

Laurie said...

8 lbs. is fabulous! Congarts so far.. you inspire me!

Lori Lynn said...

Bravo Lori, good for you! Thanks for sharing your process. I, just last week, began a low cholesterol regime. Wishing you great success.
LL

Matt said...

8 pounds in 4 weeks? Amazing. Keep it up. Congrats!!

buy weight loss pills

Carrian said...

Congrats!!! My husband and I have both been personal trainers forever and we love to see people doing this. To me the scale doesn't matter, it's about how you feel about yourself and your health. It just feels better to take care of your body. You are probably motivating so many people!!!

Girl Japan said...

Congrats Recipe Girl!!! I am up to five miles now but I think if I cut out more portions, I could get to goal quicker, like you... you have discipline, I should follow your daily eats, although I may have to incorporate different cereal... = )

Shanbanan said...

Keep up the good work. I have had many days that I dread the gym. But it's on the schedule, so I go anyway.
Had to skip 9 miles on Tues cause I was snowed in, but I went to an extra step class on Wed. It doesn't really make up, but better than nothing.
I made thick heart cookies and dunked the tops in choc Wed afternoon. Ate ALL of the crumbs and extra choc. Just about made myself ill, but couldn't stop eating. Miserable trying to sleep that night. To make up, I did 13 miles Thursday morning. If I play, I gotta pay, right?
Hope to do 18 miles tomorrow. 17 last week was HARD, but the 13 Thurs was okay and I worked all day after w/o diff. I guess that means it's getting easier.
And it will for you too. Keep up the good work and don't beat yourself up if you eat a cheeseburger.